Sunday, October 25, 2009

Random chakallas: films, career, and chemical locha

I just finished watching this beautiful film called 'Luck By Chance'. Though flimsily titled, the film carries enough power to set one pondering. In my case, more than it moved me with its self-hilarity and endearing characterisation, it inspired me. It fuelled and supported my gradually subsiding fire of pursuing a career in film-direction and script-writing. Now, I'm not going to trespass any further on the plot, lest it spoils your own experience of watching he film.
What I realised was, when the film ended, my mother, with whom I was watching the film, though having been touched by the film, stood up and went about on her day-today work, without even waiting for the credits to start rolling in. This put another useless but engrossing thought in my mind: How can a movie, a good, meaningful movie, not scintillate you enough to chain you down till atleast we have the credits? I know that some guys would waste no time to point out that in my very last post, I had proclaimed that those who take films seriously, are fools. And now I'm saying the exact opposite of that! My answer is, I don't want you to take a movie seriously, but something must be in a good film, that made you feel a part of it, that enabled you to escape your already boring life and belong to the universe of the film. At least that very success of the film is worthy of some kind of acknowledgement.
With me, a good film, or even a fairly good one for that matter, does make me think as to what the film-maker had in mind. I tend to be over-analytical, and still, at the end of all my analysis and thought-process, I end up with nothing but the face value of the film.
I also tend to stay in the film for days, months even, if I find it good, but for my parents, my family, and my friends, films are just films. There is a sort of casualness and non-seriousness attached to even the best of movies. 'Its good, its great, but lets face it, it is just a movie. It brings not a hair-width of a difference to your life' they say. And hell, they are right. Maybe I am wrong, not the people. And this is how I learnt about humility and tolerance in various tastes and habits.
In our country, there are just too many stereotypes. That's because 90% of our population is still grappling with a chronic disease called mediocrity. In the midst of all the mediocre people whom we tolerate and deal with every other day, there are some few honest guys who work their arses up to earn a square meal for themselves, but eventually fall trap to these stereotypes. One such big stereotype is the famous 'nerd'. Yes, I am referring to guys who get admitted like herds of goats every bloody year in prestigious institutes like IIT, SRCC, and what-not.
Interestingly, some of these guys are actually those who romance with subjects like Physics or Economics, who derive passion out of their studies. Volumes of thick books written on droopy subjects actually are a drug for them. Their motivation is more than just a heavy paycheck and a coveted position in the society, but genuine interest. And these few people appear as nerdy muggers to laymen like me and millions of others. Maybe, for these irrational and genuine guys, people like me, who are inclined towards obscure, non-conventional and insecure interests, might seem like bunch of fags (please forgive me for my increasingly blasphemous writing). But the crux of the matter is, no profession in its pure form is bad. I know I am stating the obvious, but the obvious is true in this case!
What I want to justify in this post is the reason why I get so immersed in films, I get so carried away with cinema. That is because of my own unique chemical locha, or faulty brain wiring, that made me a film-fanatic and a gullible guy at the same time. We humans are unique because of these irregular interests which, at the first glance, might seem unrelated, but form an interesting combo which add up to our personality. That is the very essence of being human. You are, even if you don't have any apparent talent, one in a zillion.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only thing responsible for the difference in ma's reaction and yours is that you don't have anything to do in life. The problem is that perhaps school studies are too easily done for you. Others can barely keep up even with schoolwork. But you have tons of free time. Ask ma it the morning what all things she will do later in the day and she will probably give you a list. Not so with you. Make an agenda. For example decide that you will make a film. Them decide that you will complete some aspect of it in a specific number of days. Do this, and you will see that the next time you watch a movie, you won't wait for the credits to roll. And call me when you read this.
-perry

Navin said...

I agree that a good film always leaves some food for thinking on each viewer. It may happen that on priority basis you do your routine work, but thinking process goes on its speed. I recently watched All The Best movie, it is a very good entertaining film. Its non-stop & senseless humour appealed me deep. Even today it keeps me amused.
On the other hand films like Lage-raho-Munnabhai & Tare Zameen Par, gave me serious food for thought for a long time.
I want to say that a good film will surely leave permanent impression on your mind. My husband talks about his impression of films, seen by him very long ago, left on his mind. Films are very-very effective mode of leaving permanent impression.
--Shailbala Misra.

Nutan said...

you answered the question that you raised in the article.For the people like you, if a film ends and you like it, you wait for the credentials.In a similar way a person interested in physics will enjoy solving his problems more than you do.The major point that I agree with is to stay away from mediocrity.It is mandatory to excel in your field of specialization if you want to contribute positively.

Bharat said...

@nutan bua
yeah, i would second what u say....in our country, we have truck loads of fakers...fakers who raid malls, rape laws, choke the system and corrupt the repute of the average indian in the eyes of firangs. i'd call this the 'revenge of the mediocres'...